Saturday, January 5, 2013

No. 1 Who is she?

  -->


Well beyond 60, I am asking: Who is she? Why is she looking at me? What does she want? How can I understand her? How do I make her move or want to move (her body), shop for essentials, wash the car, unpack the books – want to do everyday things? She has visions of the couch, of resting, of sleep.  In the dusk of the day around 8 PM her energy picks up and if she is not careful, the day will begin while everyone else is sleeping and the next day will be lost to fog.


At 11 PM I began watching Waste Land, a documentary about Photographer Vik Muniz and his amazing work with the garbage pickers (actually recyclers) of Rio de Janeiro; the poor who make an honest living they proclaim often, sorting the refuse of others in order to survive. The women are soft and pretty, and the men are kind and gentle. One young sweet woman has two children that are off living with their dirt-poor grandmother.  At the end she is pregnant and has another child. No man in sight. The workers get held up at a bank and lose $600 of their earnings.



I watch this film and sense that Vik is who I used to be or might have been and dreamed of being. I look for clues in his upbringing and foundation of life as a way to excuse myself for being unable to do this work anymore. Gender matters. It opens doors still for the male artist.









©Ann Smith 2012

Saturday August 11, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment